On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 12:29:08AM +0100, Alexander Hall wrote:
> On 11/15/10 19:31, Marc Espie wrote:
> > So now we have
> > *DEPENDS = pkgspec:pkgpath
> > in an uniform way, with pkgspec: completely omitted when it's the
> > default stem-*
> >
> > The idea is to remove as much noise as possible and it's already working
> > great
> >
> > Compare:
> >
> > -RUN_DEPENDS=   :desktop-file-utils-*:devel/desktop-file-utils \
> > -               :shared-mime-info->=0.21:misc/shared-mime-info
> >
> > +RUN_DEPENDS=   devel/desktop-file-utils \
> > +               shared-mime-info->=0.21:misc/shared-mime-info
> >

> > but it might still be a bit too complex, especially since the most frequent
> > spec is "this stem past that version", so STEM-
> > +RUN_DEPENDS=   devel/desktop-file-utils \
> > +               STEM->=0.21:misc/shared-mime-info
> >
> > still a bit of line noise.  Dropping STEM- altogether looks unnatural
> > +RUN_DEPENDS=   devel/desktop-file-utils \
> > +               >=0.21:misc/shared-mime-info
> >
> > let's tack the number at the end instead:
> > +RUN_DEPENDS=   devel/desktop-file-utils \
> > +               misc/shared-mime-info>=0.21
>
> So you drop the dash after the stem path here? While I do find that
> notation at least as readable, if not more so, it could possibly cause
> confusion vs the "shared-mime-info->=0.21:..." notation.

There is no stem in there. A pkgpath is something different.

For a pkgspec, the - does makes some sense, because we go from
screen-3.0.2 to screen->=3.0.2

but in misc/screen there's never been any -, so misc/screen>=3.02 should be
okay.

That said, it's likely that more verifications for valid specs might save
some people some head-scratching...