On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 17:46, Gabriel Linder wrote:
> I see more and more tar.xz archives, and thought it would be nice to
> have tar able to extract them directly as with gzip/bzip2.
>
> -J is what GNU and FreeBSD use, so I used it too. Based on what was done
> to add bzip2 support.

So I never quite finished it in time before the -j patch went in, but
I think tar should just auto detect the compression and use the right
program.  It requires reading about two bytes out of the stream.  It's
a little tricky if the data is piped in, but I don't think it's
intractable.

So -z would just always do the right thing.  I think that's a better
way to do it.

And if you want to make such a crazy archive, those people will just
have to do it the hard way.