On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 23:56, Stuart Henderson wrote:

>> > That change is correct but I'm not sure about keeping this example
>> > code at all. We've had divert-to since OpenBSD 4.4 - when this is used
>> > instead of rdr-to the destination address is preserved, so it can be
>> > fetched with getsockname() without the DIOCNATLOOK dance.

> looking through the ports tree, there are two occasions where
> DIOCNATLOOK is used that can't be replaced with divert-to/getsockname:
> ftpsesame, which needs to lookup addresses gleaned from BPF captured
> connections, and oidentd which needs to lookup in response to ident
> requests. does anyone think it's worth keeping the example for cases
> like these? (personally I don't, but could be persuaded otherwise
> if people feel strongly about it).

Sorry I'm late to the party.  Can we put the DIOCNATLOOK example back?
It was added like 900 years ago in response to a question I asked
dhartmei, and I actually still use it.  I just read the man page again
expecting to find it.  In my case I've never used rdr-to or divert-to,
just plain nat, doing stuff like what oidentd does.