On 11/05/13 14:44, Stefan Sperling wrote:
On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 02:08:21PM +0100, Alexander Hall wrote:
On 11/05/13 13:56, Stefan Sperling wrote:
Before:

$ ftp '  http://localhost/snap/INSTALL.amd64'
ftp:   http: no address associated with name
ftp: Can't connect or login to host `  http'

After:

$ ftp '  http://localhost/snap/INSTALL.amd64'
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Requesting http://localhost/snap/INSTALL.amd64
100% |**************************************************| 84357       00:00
84357 bytes received in 0.00 seconds (267.27 MB/s)

Do others think this useful? I hit this because I made copy/paste errors.

Unless you can give a reference saying an URL may start with arbitrary
whitespace, I don't want this to go in.

Well, I would bet anyone can easily find claims that go either
way in some RFC. Here's one that's in favour of this change, FWIW.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#appendix-C
[[[
   In practice, URIs are delimited in a variety of ways, but usually
   within double-quotes "http://example.com/";, angle brackets
   <http://example.com/>, or just by using whitespace
   [...]
   For robustness, software that accepts user-typed URI should attempt
   to recognize and strip both delimiters and embedded whitespace."
]]

Not sure if a program argument qualifies as "user typed" (the example extracts urls from a text).

That said, jj@ seems to be on your line, so there are at least 2-1 votes in your favor.

Just my 2 cents.

/Alexander