* Theo de Raadt <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org> [2013-11-14 16:35]:
> > * Alexander Bluhm <alexander.bl...@gmx.net> [2013-11-14 01:29]:
> > > Theo and others don't like that change as it decreases security.
> > > There are hosts out there that still process RH0 and there are
> > > OpenBSD routers with pf disabled.
> > >
> > > This diff brings back the header chain scanning.  As an improvement
> > > it only scans if pf has not done that before.
> > >
> > > Note that ip6_check_rh0hdr() can be easily tricked by hiding the
> > > routing header type 0 behind a fragment header.  Only pf can protect
> > > you correctly as it reassembles on the forwarding path.  So I am
> > > not sure wether it is worth adding it again.
> > to be quite honest I don't see the point. the "protection" in teh
> > stack is either very incomplete and easy enough to trick - you point
> > it out yourself, fragment - or very expensive.
> > especially given that pf is enabled by default: make sure the stack
> > doesn't process RH0 itself, and otherwise leave it to pf.
> > aka the status quo.
> You're wrong about the status quo.

it is the status quo *right now*

> It *was* being filtered, until a month ago.

no news here - we had discussed that change at the time. pretty sure
you were in the loop even.

I stand by my point either way. the stack check for forwarded packets
is either very incomplete or expensive. the aproach "stack protects the
local machine (in this case: don't obey RH0), pf handles forwarded
packets" matches what we do generally.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP