* Theo de Raadt <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org> [2013-11-15 01:38]:
> >My diff was on tech@ for one day during a hackathon before I commited it.

NOT hidden / circulated privately.

> >The reasons why I removed the check in the stack are:
> >- Scanning headers in the forwarding path is against the spirit of IPv6.
> One day someone should find the people who pushed RH0 into IPv6 and punish
> them.

ok henning :)

> >- It is pf's job to add more security.
> It is.  However, you will note that in IPv4 land we have sysctl
> net.inet.ip.sourceroute.  It defaults to 0 (off).  RH is like IPv4 source
> routing, except on steriods.  Would any of us at this time recommend
> net.inet.ip.sourceroute=1, or to go further, remove the code disabling code
> from the kernel and assume that pf is doing the filtering?  I doubt it.

that analogy is actually a good one.
net.inet.ip.sourceroute controls wether we OBEY src routes.
as in, we don't by default, as we don't obey RH0 at all, without a
button.
we do, however, NOT remove src routing information from forwarded
packets.

> >- The scanning was done twice with pf enabled.
> This latter point is very valid.  I am very happy with your new approach that
> does the extra scanning only if pf is disabled.

no doubt that is an improvement.

> I only believe in this approach when the header is already cache-hot, and
> there
> is little performance.  Untimately if many feel "pf is always on", then there
> is
> no argument for resisting code for the "pf is disabled" case...

heh :)

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP