* Adam Thompson <athom...@athompso.net> [2014-04-17 19:31]:
> I've found that having multiple cores available can speed up a desktop, and
> certain classes of cpu-bound server applications, and not much else.

MP speeds up all userland-heavy tasks a lot.
MP doesn't yet speed up kernel-heavy tasks as much as it should.

I have one use case where 8-core-MP is more than 7 times faster than
single core.

> Those applications are not many; databases (sometimes), web servers
> (sometimes), application servers (often).

no, there's much more. As said, most of everything userland-heavy.

> The fact my router has 8 cores available doesn't really help it very
> much.  (Maybe BGP converges a little bit faster?)

it can help bgpd indeed.

> Ditto for my DNS servers, my mail server, my proxy server, etc.

depends on the workload. heavy content filtering on mailservers will
benefit.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP