On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 14:19:33 +0400
Solar Designer <so...@openwall.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 09:13:36AM +0200, Francois Ambrosini wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 07:04:47 +0400
> > Solar Designer <so...@openwall.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Being on the distros list is not mandatory to receive advance
> > > notification of security issues.  The list is just a tool.  People
> > > reporting security issues to the distros list are encouraged to
> > > also "notify upstream projects/developers of the affected
> > > software, other affected distro vendors, and/or affected Open
> > > Source projects".
> >
> > You and others may want to know that ??? since yesterday ??? the
> > OpenSSL wiki says otherwise. Quoting:
> >
> > "If you would like advanced notice of vulnerabilities before they
> > are released to the general public, then please join
> > [http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/mailing-lists/distros
> > Operating system distribution security contact lists] at OpenWall's
> > OSS Security"
> >
> > http://wiki.openssl.org/index.php?title=Security_Advisories&diff=1700&oldid=1697
>
> Thanks for letting me know.  I wasn't aware of this.  I don't know
> whether this wiki edit is authoritative for the OpenSSL project, but
> if it is it means that there's greater assurance those on distros
> list will continue to receive advance notification, and indeed it's
> simpler for the OpenSSL project to be able to notify more distro
> vendors at once.
>
> I don't see it as contradictory to what I wrote (quoted above): it
> doesn't say that those who haven't joined will definitely not be
> notified. I guess OpenSSL will maintain an additional list of who to
> notify, besides the distros list.  As I said before, I can't speak
> for the OpenSSL project, though - so these are just guesses.
>
> My personal opinion is that if OpenBSD doesn't join the distros list,
> yet wants LibreSSL to be notified of OpenSSL security issues, OpenSSL
> should be notifying LibreSSL directly.  I think it'd be helpful if
> LibreSSL nominates specific contact persons for that, along with PGP
> keys to use, and informs the OpenSSL project of that.  (Use of PGP was
> mandatory in the recent advance notification offered to distros list.)
> Once that has been done, you'd have (more) reason to complain if
> you're not notified next time (but I hope you will be).
>
> Alexander

I am a mere user who happened to spot an inconsistency and wanted to
inform all parties.

I will not comment on your guesses and opinions with information I do
not have. I'll just state that I find your interpretation of the quote
from the OpenSSL wiki rather optimistic, and give you the additional
hint that a public statement from Mark Cox on Google+ goes against it
(check the "timeline" post).

I humbly think it was (and is) not the right time for guesses and I
must confess my surprise at your response. I would have thought that,
with the new responsibility given to the "distro" list, you would want
to check with the OpenSSL people first.