Hi Jason,

Jason McIntyre wrote on Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 06:34:45AM -0700:

> CVSROOT:      /cvs
> Module name:  src
> Changes by:   j...@cvs.openbsd.org    2014/11/20 06:34:45
>
> Modified files:
>       lib/libevent   : Makefile
>
> Log message:
> put MLINKS in the order they appear in the man page,
> so i don;t go blind trying to check what's missing;

No objection whatsoever, keeping the Makefiles clean is always good.

Just mentioning a different approach in case anybody is interested -
this got more powerful with some of my latest commits and is partly
documented in mandoc.db(5):

 $ cd /usr/src/lib/libevent/
 $ make cleandir
 $ cvs up -dP
 $ make obj
 $ make depend
 $ make
 $ sudo make install
 $ sudo makewhatis /usr/share/man
 $ alias qm='sqlite3 /usr/share/man/mandoc.db'  # query mandoc.db
 $ qm 'select * from names where name="evbuffer_new";'
30|evbuffer_new|878
 $ qm 'select * from names where pageid=878 and bits!=18;'
30|evbuffer_new|878
 $ qm 'select * from names where name="event";'
16|event|877
 $ qm 'select * from names where pageid=877 and bits!=18;'
16|event|877
30|event_init|877

Looks good now.  The bits from /usr/src/usr.bin/mandoc/mansearch.h
in the order of decreasing precedence for the new man(1) are:

  16  file name (only this one is used by the old man(1))
   8  page header line (from the .Dt macro)
   4  first .Nm entry in the NAME section
   2  any .Nm entry in the NAME section
   1  any .Nm entry in the SYNOPSIS section

Right now, .Fo and .Fn in the SYNOPSIS do not yet set bit 1,
but that's on my todo list.

So, consistent values are:

  31  (Christmas tree)  for the primary page name
  19  (= ~(8+4))        for secondary page names

Anything else is suspicious.

This already works quite well for mdoc(7) pages.  Regarding man(7)
and cat pages, there are still some items on my todo list.

Yours,
  Ingo