On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 12:21:07PM -0600, Dale Lindskog wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015, li...@wrant.com wrote:
>
> > > I object to the "silent" part... if you're trying to actually use
> > > PKG_CACHE
> > > then, having it fail silently and then discovering several GB later that
> > > oops,
> > > it didn't save anything anywhere looks like a huge mistake.
> > >
> > > But I'll try to make the error message be completely explicit.
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=143671276012679
> >
> > Thank you, Marc.
> >
> > http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.sbin/pkg_add/OpenBSD/PackageRepository.pm.diff?r1=1.113&r2=1.114
> >

> Thanks Marc, t I disagree that pkg_add should "always error outwhen
> PKG_CACHE is unwritable.  Specifically, when pkg_add is invoked the -s
> option, no package is copied to the package cache even if it is writable.
>
> Unless you think that pkg_add should always be run by root?  -- Dale

For fuck's sake, undefining PKG_CACHE if you want to run things as non-root
is easy enough. Stop talking crap.

It's simple. PKG_CACHE is a "parameter" to pkg_add.   If you run other options,
like -n or -s, there is an obvious interface conflict. What should pkg_add
obey ?

I will err on the side of KEEPING THINGS SIMPLE. If PKG_CACHE is defined,
pkg_add will obey it. Don't want PKG_CACHE ? unset it while running pkg_add
with those options. That way, I don't have to put more tests in there.