Okay, I've had a bit of time to look (again) at gmake.

This patch won't make it in its current form. It does only implement a very
partial subset of what gmake does, namely the
export VAR=VALUE
syntax.

I'll have to check gmake's code more closely, because the other export forms
DO expand the full line, not just the variable value.

I'm pretty sure it's more dangerous to recognize export partly and not
support the other forms.

There's also the fact that it's not a usual bsd-make construct (introduced
as a known dot form).    There's usually some risk of false positives, stuff
where lines may start with export but not be export directives...