Hi Theo,

Theo de Raadt:
> This seems misguided.  We have a horrible program called "file", but
> in general people identify what a file is what what purpose it serves
> not just by the filename, but also by how it starts.  The "untrusted
> comment" has become the way to identify a signify file.  It has become
> colloquial.
>
> Yes, there is a magic number immediately after that, but it is at
> unknown byte offset.  It isn't a offset-addressed file like gzip.  So
> your proposal doesn't actually help solve anything, in fact it
> increases the ambiguity.

Nice catch, I haven't thought about file(1).
I consider file(1) really useful. But at the same time it's way too
empirical/phenomenological. Sometimes it's unable to reliably tell the
truth. Only corresponding program/codec can tell if a file really
contains data if this type. [in out case it's signify(1)].
Should we duplicate codec logic and put in into separate file(1)?
Not the best idea.
Can we include all the types info/magic just into one file(1) utility
(/etc/magic)?
No.
Should we create filetypes to be detectable by file(1)?
Don't think so.

> So why not consider that call it a day, and leave it alone?

Just because.

--
Ivan Markin