On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 08:43:11PM -0600, Austin Bentley wrote:
> Interesting. It seems that on OpenBSD the reception is quite weak.
> I've connected, HOWEVER, I have to be in the same room as my router!
> On Linux I can be anywhere in my house.
>
> I tried disabling powersave (-powersave), and still I have to be very

I believe the powersave option is a no-op with iwn(4) so I am
not surprised it doesn't change anything.

> close to my router. My phone can connect to it no problem anywhere in
> the house. Does anyone have any clue what's going on? Is it possible
> that the driver is permanently set on a power save mode?

Well, it seems something strange is going on since it works with Linux.

It is not clear whether the problem is with sending or receiving.
I would guess it is more likely that iwn(4) has some problem with
sending data, rather than receiving it. Both have to work to associate
successfully.

You can enable some debug output like this:

  ifconfig iwn0 debug

Look in /var/log/messages. Any beacon received should be mentioned there,
and in case a WPA handshare is attempted you should see this as well.

Perhaps the problem has to do with regdomain settings? iwn(4) does not
do anything about those -- it relies on hardware/firmware defaults.
Does Linux print anything about regulatory domains in its dmesg?

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 7:37 PM, Austin Bentley <ab...@mst.edu> wrote:
> >      nwid MYSSID chan 6 bssid yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy -58dBm HT-MCS15
> >      privacy,short_slottime,wpa1

Do you also happen to have this AP on a 5GHz channel or is this
AP on 2GHz only? If iwn(4) is trying to connect on 5GHz instead of 2,
that would explain why it doesn't work well through walls.