> On Jun 26, 2017, at 10:49 PM, Ted Unangst <t...@tedunangst.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>> CC'd tedu@ because I'm not sure if I'm using crypt_newhash(3)
>> correctly.
>>
>> Ted: In other places people use _PASSWORD_LEN for the length
>>      of the hash buffer.  Clearly this works, but it feels off.
>>      _PASSWORD_LEN is meant to be an upper bound on length of
>>      the plaintext, not the hash output, right?
>>
>>      Is there a better way to size my buffer for use with
>>      crypt_newhash(3)?
>
> yes, but there is no better define for the output buffer. perhaps PASS_MAX,
> i'm not sure why everything settled on _PASSWORD_LEN.

fwiw, PASS_MAX is now deprecated by POSIX.  I think leaving it as _PASSWORD_LEN
for consistency with the rest of the tree for now is probably better.

Would a later patch exposing something like, I dunno, "BCRYPT_HASHMAX" to
includers of unistd.h be welcome?  A documented define would round out the API.

--
Scott Cheloha