On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 05:59:24PM +0200, Alexander Bluhm wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 03:43:50PM +0000, Florian Obser wrote:
> > It switches the hash function to SipHash24 from sha512 as suggested by dlg
>
> Is is performance critical?  Then siphash would be better.

no

> Is is a security concern?  Is is a problem that someone could try

maybe..

> to calculate our secret when he knows a bunch of our IP addresses?
> Then sha512 would be better.

if you know the key and the mac you can track a host when it moves to
a different prefix.

> I don't know wether the algorithm is relevant here.  So I would
> have chosen sha512.

sha512 is certainly the conservative choice. note that we are only use
64 bit so the digest is a wee bit to big ;)

I'm happy to bikeshed this for a bit since it kinda defeats the
purpose if we need to change the hash function later.

dlg?

--
I'm not entirely sure you are real.