On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 00:24:05 +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:

> Wouldn't it be better if we at least tried to properly free what was
> allocated in parse_file()?

I'm not sure it is worth it since newsyslog is a short-lived process.
If you feel strongly about this I could take a look at doing that.

> > One thing I wanted to
> > do was to make parse_file() return an error value when there was a
> > parse error so the exit code could be non-zero.
>
> That would be better, a valid use case is checking the exit status of
> newsyslog -n to detect errors.

That's what I was thinking as well.

> Also, should we really ignore errors for everything, or only for
> getpwnam/getgrnam(3) errors?  The latter appears safer to me.

Do you think a single bad line should prevent newsyslog from rotating
any files?  This could lead to /var/ filling up which seems more
dangerous than just ignoring a bogus line.

 - todd