Ok, what I am proposing is that the IOMMU is set up when a file is opened
to provide the address space required for that file's IO.
This remains set up until the file is closed, avoiding frequent set-up and
tear-down for each IO transfer.

I assume that there is sufficient IOMMU address space to handle any
plausible number of files open, and that it is possible to keep
the knowledge of address spaces private to the Primary Ldom, and guests
would only be aware of the mbufs visible to them, and
this is acceptable. (If you cant trust the Primary, I rather suspect you
are stuffed anyway). Clearly, dependent of IOMMU architecture,
which I do not claim to understand, this could exhaust IO address space
before it exhausts physical memory, I don't know.
But I cannot see any other reason why this would not avoid frequent set-up
and tear-downs.

I get the impression that disk access is not great on my Txxxx machines. I
expect a 1GHz T1000 to totally piss on a 4GHz Intel
machine at web serving, and it doesn't. (Solaris annoys me too much to even
try it, but I assume its better than OpenBSD on
Spact64 at this time, or Larry Ellison would have to sell his yacht).