Marc Espie wrote:
> reorganizing a large part of usr.bin or usr.sbin to just be one
> single variation of bsd.prog.mk with multiple progs and multiple object
> files... works just fine for, say 95% of the binaries in those directories
>
> (considering there are lots of directories with one single C file or two
> C files, this sounds like a gain for make -jN, right ?)
>
> End result: no measurable gain.   That on 4 cpu boxes at the time.
> There are SMP issues to solve before this actually yields any
> useful result...

I don't know. I wrote a lua script that unrolled all the subdir and ran a
single process make in each directory, up to 4 at a time, and got pretty good
results. It takes 30s on my newer laptop just to run unbound configure.
Nothing else is compiling during that time, and it can be. Just a few of those
can shave minutes off a build.

(This was before clang. The savings is somewhat diminished by the
total time consumed by the gnu directory.)