Martin Pieuchot wrote:
> On 24/02/20(Mon) 11:29, Lauri Tirkkonen wrote:

> > > That's by design.
> >
> > Ok - could you elaborate what the design is?
>
> If the size of a descriptor change, because some fields are added and/or
> removed, it doesn't matter for the application because it only manipulates
> pointers.  That means we can change the data types without creating an ABI
> break.

I think we are approaching the point where we can settle on fixed sized types
now. If we want to be cautious, we can add a reserved padding field, too. But
there are some edge cases which I think can be removed by eliminating the
dynamic allocation paths.

> > See the followup patch -- sharing the semaphore between processes does
> > work with it.
>
> Well ignoring the `pshared' argument is questionable.  Why don't you
> remove the "#if notyet" and start playing with the existing code and
> try to figure out if something is missing for your use case?

I'm not sure the code in notyet will work. It was based on a misunderstanding
I had of the requirements. Returning control of the sem_t placement to the
application is the right approach.