On 2023-05-18 00:14 +02, Alexander Bluhm <alexander.bl...@gmx.net> wrote:
> And why is this ip6_soiikey in the kernel anyway?  I guess it is
> from a time when address configuration was done in the kernel.
> Could slaacd(8) just read /etc/soii.key?

Originally we implemented RFC 7217 for link-local addresses, too. The
value of doing that is IMO not very high and it turned out that there
are ISPs out there that calculate the clients link-local address from
the MAC address and route a /64 (or whatever) to that link-local
address. If we calculate a different link-local address IPv6 is broken.

It's pretty difficult to debug this so we removed support for it in the
kernel.

p.s. Furthermore I think link-local addresses should be generated by
userland.

--
In my defence, I have been left unsupervised.