Hi,

(Hetzner engineer here, but speaking as a private individual)

Hetzner Cloud is using regular mainline QEMU on Linux as the hypervisor,
so while I'd agree that faulting when the MSR is set isn't ideal, this behaviour will probably also occur on a lot of other machines/setups.

Another solution might be preferrable. Linux has started to do a very similar thing and I haven't yet checked if it runs into a similar situation/fault.

At least on Hetzner Cloud, there is a lot of indications that the machine is running as a virtual machine (ACPI/SMBIOS, etc.). If possible, maybe skip setting the flag when running virtualized?

So long,
Manawyrm
--
https://tbspace.de