Hi Theo, it's a long time since we last conversed.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 03:44:17PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> What user without OpenBSD experience is booting from 'd'?
>
> Which also poses the question -- what user with OpenBSD experience
> is booting from 'd'?
>
> Why?

Some disklabel partitions have traditionally had specific meanings:

a - root fs
b - swap
c - whole disk
d - on non-OpenBSD systems is 'whole disk' where c is not
i - often used for non FFS partitions on OpenBSD

Why would you automatically make a RAID as parition 'a'?

It's not a root fs.

I don't see any logic behind RAID partition = 'a'.

What if you want more than one?

Booting from non-'a' softraids has never been discouraged on amd64.

It's been noted that on other archs it doesn't work, but there has
never been a general advisory that booting from softraid volumes should
only be done from 'a'.

> You say "quite possible that people have machines deployed that boot
> from other RAID partitions"

After 10+ years of it working, do you really think that nobody has
ever done it?

> Who?  Just you?

If it's just me, I can easy fix my own machine.