Hello everybody

At the risk of being accused of trying to put people down, I am going to raise
one further subject because this is something that I find outrageous.

I was just looking on a website here in the UK which is that of a company which
sell equipment for the hearing impaired. <http://www.connevans.co.uk>. They
sell a series of items designed for hearing aid users in an environment where
it is difficult to hear the spoken content. For instance in a lecture room,
meeting or similar where the desired audio source is either a considerable
distance from the listener, or where the background noise makes it difficult
for the listener to hear what's being said.

These devices use Bluetooth to communicate with a receiver that's either at ear
level or which interfaces with a hearing instrument to give the listener access
to a desired audio source via a radio microphone which the speaker either wears
or holds.

The transmitter and receiver, as a kit, cost over £1100 Pounds Sterling. That,
I would think, is way beyond the reach of most individuals, and I think it's
absolutely outrageous that a company supposedly there to "help" the disabled is
charging quite so much for its products.

No; I'm not dumb! I understand fully that developers have to eat. I also
understand that companies and developers have to make a reasonable profit on
what they're selling. But that is outrageous. We're talking nothing but a
transmitter/receiver here and nobody can convince me that a
transmitter/receiver kit is going to cost anywhere close to that kind of money
to develop. That, to me, is profiteering above and beyond the "reasonable" and
I'm disgusted. I have already written to the company concerned to express my
views. I don't for a second expect to receive a response; nor do I expect them
to take notice of what I said. But I have at least made my views known.

I think it's utterly wrong that those who are afflicted by what is a very
debilitating disability should be victimised in that way, just because they
can't take advantage of what the rest of us take for granted.

Now I hope nobody will twist what I'm saying; but I think it's grossly unfair
that companies are able to profit in that way in a market which, I accept, is a
minority market. All the same, there should be some kind of dispensation for
individuals struggling to buy that kind of equipment for their own use.

Lynne