Hi!

I purchased a Sangean ATS909X "World Band" receiver quite some time ago and I'm
now only putting the set through its paces.

I could write pages and pages about this unit and I'll do that on my blog in
the future I'm sure but I do feel that this set deserves praise for its SSB
reception.

Tuning round the 8-9MHZ frequency range this morning I was able to listen to
the "Flying Doctors" service, the reception wasn't brilliant but I was able to
identify the organisation and "Julia Creek", that's a town in Central Australia.

Now I've never received this before and - whilst Its obviously possible to
receive the service as I proved - I always thought you'd need a bigger aerial
than I was using, I just used the built-in telescopic whip of the radio which
is around 6 feet long.

Perhaps what makes things different these days is the absence of a lot of
traffic from the SW bands.

For those interested in this radio I recommend it as it is one of the few these
days to offer both dual conversion circuitry and a variable RF-gain control
across all frequencies from 100-29999KHZ.

The set also comes equipped with a very nice "DSP" which brings the radio
alive! when listening to medium-wave broadcasts where a strong signal is next
to a waker one, the DSP allows the weaker signal to be heard intelligibly.

Just a few first thoughts for what they're worth <smile>.