As promised here is some further feedback on using this £69 bargain phone
with android.
I  got it unlocked pay as You Go from virgin.
Mobile Accessibility is a one off cost of £53 which I can, understand it now
install on any phone which I register with the Android market . At a RNIB
and BCAB event I went to on Android  the rep from mobile Accessibility said
that, whilst they could not commit in perpetuity, they wanted to pursue a
policy of free upgrades, as well as free updates .  I guess we have to thank
competition from Voiceover for this policy.
I will feed back briefly on 3 points .
1. Setting up access
2. description of keys on phone.
3. Pitfall to avoid with Android Market.

Generally Progress with this phone has been slow, mainly because I have been
busy academic writing but also because I have struggled a little with the
touch screen keyboard interface. I think  my next investment will be a
Bluetooth keypad of some description and would be very interested to hear
any recommendations.
1. Setting up accessibility.
I got somebody sighted to download Mobile Accessibility from the Android
market for me. If you take this route you must remember that installing
Mobile Accessibility alone is not enough. The phone will appear to be
talking but as soon as you leave M A the phone will stop talking. Mobile
Accessibility is actually a set of self voicing apps but you also have to
set it as the screen reader within  Android settings.
I had to get sighted help back to go to setting and then check accessibility
and then also set mobile Accessibility as the screen reader for the phone.
2. Key descriptions.

the phone has a touch screen with some very tactile buttons. Under this
touch screen there is a centre round enter button surrounded by a 4 way
cursor ring.
To either side of the centre enter and cursor ring there are two button
arrange with a proud rocker button, with a further recessed button below
this. .
Starting from the top left
rocker button  left, left press  is the menu key.
rocker button  left, right press  is the home key.
Bottom left recessed button is dial /send key
Then moving to the centre we have a 4 way cursor ring around centre enter
key .
rocker button  right , left press  is the back key.
rocker button  right, right press  is the search key.  Brings up Google
search outside of Mobile Accessibility.
 Bottom right recessed key is End call button.

On the side is the volume key
Holding this in whilst in a edit field brings up the Mobile Accessibility on
screen keyboard.
This volume button is also used for the voice recognition text entry with
Mobile Accessibility but I have not tried this yet.
3. Android market.
I was looking forward to using the Android Market.  I had heard podcasts
where people extolled the convenience of searching for apps on your computer
and having them pushed directly to your phone. I did this repeatedly  with
no apparent response from my phone. What was not made clear from the
podcasts and descriptions I listened to is that this will only work if you
are already logged into the Android Market on your phone. This sort of makes
sense, but it does mean that, if you are using the computer to avoid having
to use the onscreen keyboard, this will not work as a strategy as you will
need to use the onscreen keyboard to log into your Google account at the
very least.
I may become more proficient with the on screen keyboard but I think I would
recommend that anybody not used to this also get a Bluetooth keyboard. This
would help whilst you are in the transition period of learning this skill,
as you will be frustratingly not be able to access much of the functionality
of the phone without it.  For me personally, struggling to enter my login
details onscreen held me up for many days. I know this is a comment about
touch screen, rather than android but I thought I would mention it as I now
wish I had got a Bluetooth keypad at the start, rather than waiting to see
if I got on with the onscreen keyboard.

Anyway that’s enough for now.

David Griffith