As I understand it the situation for Windows Touch Screen Surface type
devices is as follows.

 I believe that they are still a comparatively expensive purchase but you
are getting a full spec PC in most of these devices.

However
1. The cheaper devices sold with Windows 8 RT variant will not work with any
third party desktop type applications , including Screenreaders. You will be
therefore limited to using the inbuilt Narrator as a Screenreader and
working with apps from the Windows App store. I am not sure that this would
be a good route to go just yet as I believe that inbuilt accessibility  is
still a work in progress.
2. However on all other variations of Windows 8 third party desktop
applications can install and so NVDA and Jaws can be used.
3. Jaws 15 has touch Screen support and apparently at least some of the Apps
are accessible as well as the normal desktop applications.
4. I am not sure of the situation with NVDA with Touch screen support and
access to Apps.
5. I have heard that the GWMicro Window Eyes introduction to using Windows 8
is the best  training resource out there irrespective of what Screenreader
you are using. I understand that the RNIB have some good introductory pages
also.
6. I think that the use of a magnetic keyboard is till recommended even for
the Touch screen surface pro type devices if you are blind.

However as I am still on traditional architecture with Windows 7 I have no
direct experience of any of this.
Just what I have picked up.
David Griffith

..