I have one of the new Sangean WRF27C Internet/Dab/FM radio sets.

This model also supports DLNA music streaming and spotify.

Before I get into the ins and outs of this radio I'd like to make one point abundantly clear, if you want the best performing DAB or Internet radio then stay away from a combo radio such as this one as you will certainly be disappointed when compared to units specially designed for the particular task in mind. This rule does not only apply to the Sangean WRF27C but also to other combo units I've owned and used, its a great shame but there we are.

Okay with that out of the way what does the WRF27C offer that the previous WRF28D didn't? I've already mentioned the Spotify connect feature and that's a great addition.

The WRF27C is smaller than the WRF28D so its a really nice mid portable sized package that is thin enough to slip into a bag or brief case.

Controls are pretty much the same as found on the previous model though they work somewhat differently. For example on the WRF28D a press of the "Mode" button would instantly change the radios mode from Itnernet Radio to DAB, then FM, AUX-in, Music Player and back to Internet radio and would continue the cycle through these modes at every press. A menu pops up when the "Mode" button is pressed on the WRF27C requiring the user to use the Jog-Dial on the right hand side of the radio to select the function and then confirm the selection by pressing the dial in, not a terribly difficult task but to me a major change nevertheless.

So how does the radio sound compared to the previous model? Though there isn't as much bass from the smaller speaker I still find the radio an enjoyable listen particularly given that the speaker has nice clean treble and excellent mid range characteristics.

The headphone output is excellent and in stereo for those times when you're listneing to Music, DAB+ and so on.

Unlike the WRF28D, the WRF27C runs on 6 AA batteries which can be charged in the unit. I'm very glad to say tha battery life in this model has improved out of sight compared to the previous.

There isn't an Aux-In or a Line-out socket to be found on this model but the line-out was so poor on the WRF28D anyway so perhaps its just as well Sangean dropped this in the WRF27C.

Wi-Fi connectivity has been improved with the addition of the 5.0MHZ band so.

The WRF28D had a USB port for music on a memory stick but this feature has been removed from the WRF27C which seems rather strange to me given the radio is a true portable.

So how does the radio go on DAB and FM? I had to perform a number of scans before the WRF27C would recognise all available DAB+ stations in my area so poor DAB+ sensitivity has carried over from the previous model to this one.

FM reception is a joke unless you want to listen to processor noise from the radio itself rather than good music.

The price tag is around about the same as for the previous model - about $200 Australian dollars -.

--

Those who don't need help are prepared to help themselves