The Perkins School for the Blind and Raizlabs Aim to Solve the Last Inch
Problem with GPS

Your GPS may tell you that there is a bus stop nearby, but how do you know
you're actually standing at the stop and not at a street sign 25 feet away?
Thanks to a $750,000 grant from Google, the Perkins School for the Blind has
partnered with app developer Raizlabs in an effort to solve this problem.

It's a situation that Raizlabs' Nick Bonatsakis, who is also legally blind, can
relate to as he explains in an interview with Boston's WBUR. “I was just
walking around in circles,” he recalls. “And had I had something where somebody
just said, ‘Look, you know, the entrance to this place is past this mailbox and
before this entrance to this other shop,’ that would have been immensely
helpful.”

Perkins and Raizlabs aim to offer an app which will provide clues to a traveler
in these situations. The app may give clues such as a nearby step, doorway, or
grass which could help in someone locating a location like a bus stop in a
contextual manner. Those familiar with a location will enter these clues into a
database, which will then be available to users of the forthcoming app.

The Perkins School for the Blind was awarded the grant from the Google Impact
Challenge: Disabilities program which awarded $20 million in grants to 29
recipients.

The app itself is expected to be released early in 2017.

Source: WBUR
Category: News
Displaying 1 comment.

darknexus today 2:10 PM ET:
A nice idea, however they'll need a dedicated team to do this. Most people,
when they need to get somewhere, aren't thinking about or don't have time to
enter information in a database. I wonder if they could partner with the Google
mapping division or something? You must be logged in to post comments.
http://www.blindbargains.com/b/15340

http://www.blindbargains.com/b/15340