In my lifetime toasters - though a humble appliance one might say - have come a mighty long way, I remember my Mum's first two slice manual toasting job with the doors on either side.

Completely manual was the word, one inserted the toast on either side of the toaster through doors that hinged out and one had to turn the toast mid-way through the cycle and then remove the toast at the end when it was thought the toast was brown enough.

Naturally the smell of burning toast was something I experienced on a frequent basis in the early part of my life.

We are now in the golden tech age and Breville, the manufacturer of fantastic kitchen appliances have realised this too bringing us a whole new range of appliances that make the jobs they're intended to do easy, fun and - most important of all - tasty.

Others I know have long since purchased the

     Breville

BTA845<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Breville-BTA845-The-Smart-Toast-4-Slice-Toaster-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-/232222681842?var=&epid=1510171748&hash=item36118ceaf2:m:mTkXUh-_rP-ynI4-FQ-Fa-g>
     and have raved long and loud about their purchase.

Time has come for me to upgrade appliance's in my kitchen so - given the excellent references I got when buying an Optigrill last year - I thought I'd give the

     Breville

BTA845<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Breville-BTA845-The-Smart-Toast-4-Slice-Toaster-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-/232222681842?var=&epid=1510171748&hash=item36118ceaf2:m:mTkXUh-_rP-ynI4-FQ-Fa-g>
     a try.

This toaster does look rather odd when placed on your kitchen counter, a square stainless steel type box so its only when you take a close look at the

     Breville

BTA845<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Breville-BTA845-The-Smart-Toast-4-Slice-Toaster-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-/232222681842?var=&epid=1510171748&hash=item36118ceaf2:m:mTkXUh-_rP-ynI4-FQ-Fa-g>that
     you truly start to appreciate the work that's gone into the design
     of a truly high quality product.

The

     Breville

BTA845<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Breville-BTA845-The-Smart-Toast-4-Slice-Toaster-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-/232222681842?var=&epid=1510171748&hash=item36118ceaf2:m:mTkXUh-_rP-ynI4-FQ-Fa-g>
     is a four slice toaster, a scaled down two slice version is
     available if that's your preference.

If one moves their hand along the toaster from left to right they notice a series of 10 push buttons in all - 5 for each of the two slice bays -.

The Start/Cancel buttons can be identified by the size, they're bigger than all the other buttons.

On the front of the toaster toward the bottom are two slider controls which adjust for bread thickness, I use a thick toasting loaf when toasting and have found that the sliders at 3 quarter their travel to the right seems to be enough for this sort of bread, you may have to experiment yourself for your particular toasting bread favourite.

So what do you do to acomplish the simple task of toasting some bread in the

     Breville

BTA845<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Breville-BTA845-The-Smart-Toast-4-Slice-Toaster-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-/232222681842?var=&epid=1510171748&hash=item36118ceaf2:m:mTkXUh-_rP-ynI4-FQ-Fa-g>?
     Well its usually as simple as inserting at least two slices into
     the machine and pressing the "Start/Cancel" button.

When the button is pressed the bread is automatically dropped into the toaster and toasting begins, its at this point I think that we should talk about what the rest of the buttons do.

The button next to the start button is the "Quick Look" button, press this whilst toasting and the bread will come up out of the toaster so you may check on the toasting progress, the toast is then dropped back into the machine and toasting of the bread resumes.

The third button toggles between 3 toasting modes, standard toasting is the default.

If this button is pressed before the "Start" button at the beginning of a toasting cycle the mode of the toasting changes to "Crumpet" toasting mode, pressed a second time and the toasting mode changes to "Fruit Loaf" toasting mode and pressed a third time the mode reverts to the default.

The next button along is the "Defrost" mode, if you had bread in the freezer before bringing out to toast press the "Defrost" button beforee the "Start" button to put the toaster into "Defrost" mode so the toast is properly defrosted whilst toasting.

The last button is "A Little Bit More".

Should your toast be underdone when the toasting cycle completes then press this button for "A Little Bit More" toasting.

How do you know when your toast is ready? The

     Breville

BTA845<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Breville-BTA845-The-Smart-Toast-4-Slice-Toaster-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-/232222681842?var=&epid=1510171748&hash=item36118ceaf2:m:mTkXUh-_rP-ynI4-FQ-Fa-g>
     sounds a 4KHZ beep when the toast pops up ready for you to grab
     and put on a plater for buttering etc.

Actually the beep sounds of this toaster - whilst not terribly loud - are one of the appliances strong points given the frequency of the beeps, they're heard at 4KHZ rather than the all-to common 2KHZ that other appliances in my kitchen use thus there's no confusion in listening to what beeps are coming from where.

The

     Breville

BTA845<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Breville-BTA845-The-Smart-Toast-4-Slice-Toaster-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-/232222681842?var=&epid=1510171748&hash=item36118ceaf2:m:mTkXUh-_rP-ynI4-FQ-Fa-g>
     is easy to clean with the usual slide out tray on the bottom, the
     only other cleaning requirement is to wipe the top of the machine
     with a dry cloth every now and then.

Have I ever burnt any bread in this machine? I can honestly say I haven't accept for the time when I put the toaster - accidentally - into the wrong toasting mode - crimpet toasting mode instead of fruit loaf toasting mode - and that was entirely my fault.

The

     Breville

BTA845<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Breville-BTA845-The-Smart-Toast-4-Slice-Toaster-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-/232222681842?var=&epid=1510171748&hash=item36118ceaf2:m:mTkXUh-_rP-ynI4-FQ-Fa-g>
     is available in Australia/New Zealand for $159 and may be
     available in the UK so do a Google on

     Breville

BTA845<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Breville-BTA845-The-Smart-Toast-4-Slice-Toaster-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-/232222681842?var=&epid=1510171748&hash=item36118ceaf2:m:mTkXUh-_rP-ynI4-FQ-Fa-g>
     and see what you come up with.

I bought several Breville appliances at the same time to get a better deal so in the next installment I'll take a look at the Breville smart jug which puts a tech twist on making a humble cup of tea.

--

"Live each day as if you were goiing to die tomorrow, learn each day as if you were