Hi!

We had a question a few weeks ago from a list member wanting to know if operating the Alarm Clock on a Google Pixel phone was accessible? I can't answer that question definitively but I can speak of my eexperiences of the Alarm Clock on two different Android phones running Nugatt and for the most part both phones worked the same but there are some subtle differences I found which I'll discuss here.

Setting alarms was pretty much straight forward for me as I use Google Now to do that "Set An Alarm For 8 AM".

The alarm is set and a screen pops up to confirm this along with a coutdown timer showing the user how long from now till the alarm will be activated.

So what do you do when the alarm activates?

If you swipe with two fingers to the left the alarm will be dismissed whilst swiping with two fingers to the right will cause the alarm to "Snooze" for 10 minutes.

This gesture works on both the Sony Xperia and the Samsung phone however the swiping was a litte more difficult to do on the xPeria so I'm going to deliberately keep setting alarms when I have time to home my sswiping skill with the xPeria phone but it does work, just got to get the hang of it.

Now here's where things can get a little complex and I assume this only applies to the Samsung as I've not seen this on the xPeria under Accessibility.

You can change things so that instead of swiping with two fingers you can double-tap appropriate buttons.

So when the alarm is activated you see "Snoose" and "Dismiss" as Icons on the screen, double-tap the action you require.

Its a nifty idea I have to admit though - given alarms are loud for very good reason most of the time - the last thing I want to be doing is trying to hear a voice through that noise just to snooze or dismiss an alarm so I leave the option to "Swipe".

Manipulating alarms seems to be slightly different between models.

I say on both phones to Google, "Open Alarms" and the alarms panel is open with all my set alarms displayed on the screen.

With the xPeria if I double-tap and hold on an alarm a series of radio buttons come up, turn alarm on/off, edit alarm and delete alarm.

All these buttons are self explanatory, if you select Delete Alarm a dialogue box pops up askign for confirmation.

Double-tapping and holding an alarm on the Samsung brings up the familiar check boxes next to each alarm, select which alarm you wish to delete and double-tap the delete icon near the top right of the screen.

I've not tried but I assume to edit an alarm displayed on the screen with the Samsung you would just doulbe-tap it and go for your life.

Anyway my observations on the alarm clock on two phones for what they're worth and I'd be interested in any comments from other members about how they manage to get around their alarm clock on their particular Android phone.

When it comes down to it though its nice to know that we do have quite a good amount of access to the Alarm Clock on Android devices it seems.

I would like to see some way of assigning a key combination to dismiss an alarm, some Android devices may already have this functionality.

--

**********
"Live each day as if you were goiing to die tomorrow, learn each day as if you were going to live forever"

------------------------------

This post, like all posts to the Techno Chat E-Mail group has been scanned by
our server-side antivirus/malware solution. This should not, however, be viewed
as a substitution for your own security strategy. We assume no culpability
whatever, implicit or otherwise, for any compromise to your systems as a result
of opening any post to this group. Suffice it to say that we remain vigilant
within the boundaries of reason. We strongly urge you to do likewise! You have
been warned!!!

You can find an RSS listing of all posts to this group at:
<https://mail.mac-access.net:7025/list/techno-chat@techno-chat.net>

To encourage your friends to join this group, first accept our thanks for
spreading the word. Then, have them send a message to the list processing
engine at:
<techno-chat-j...@techno-chat.net>
To toggle on/off Digest (batch) mode for this group, please send a blank
message to:
<techno-chat-dig...@techno-chat.net>
To leave the group, please send a blank message to:
<techno-chat-le...@techno-chat.net>.

To contact the support address for this group, please write to:
supp...@techno-chat.net>