Hi!

Obviously I've not had a chance to get this amp going yet so I can only tell you what I've observed from glancing at the unit, I hope to have a pair of eyeballs tomorrow to guide me through the setup process.

Anyway the AVRX3400h is of the same build as the AVR2113.

Cosmetically on the front they look a little different, on the AVR2113 the front USB port, HDMI port and audio/video RCA in jacks were found under a removable trapdoor.

In this model the audio/video RCA jacks have been removed and the USB and HDMI ports on the front - along with the Microphone and Headphone socket - are clearly visible.

The Microphone's purpose is for test measurements so the system can work out how best to adjust the speakers and their acoustic characteristics to your room and a microphone along with stand comes with the unit.

Front controls are very simple, a row of 10 below the display, a source selection dial on the left and a volume control on the right.

On the rear its a different story, connections and sockets all over the place though I'm glad to see that Denon have chosen to place all the speaker terminals - 14 in all - in one long row across the near bottom, they're out of the way and easy to get to not to mention wire up.

There are dozens of RCA'S about the place, two of those are digital inputs, 2 are preamp outputs, many will befor composet and component video inputs and outputs, two will be a fono input whilst the others will be analogue inputs for older equipment, the second zone and so on.

The 10 HDMI ports run across the near top rear panel, 8 in and 2 out.

The difference here over the older model is the addition of the "Audio Return" channel for the HDMI ports.

In the past I had to run two cables to my Television, a HDMI cable from the HDMI out of the receiver - to feed the TV with the video from other sources - and a toslink audio cable to take audio from the Television into the amplifier.

Now I only need that one output cable which - as well as feed the video output from the Amp to the Television - will return the audio from the Television to the receiver so I may here it, looking forward to trying that out.

Unlike the AVR2113 the AVRX3400H has an AM tuner along with the FM, FM was very good on the 2113 so I doubt whether I'll be disappointed with the AVRX3400H. I doubt the AM section will be much chop and I don't think I'll even bother wiring up the loop antenna given I already have a DAB/FM/AM tuner ready and waiting to plug into the system through one of the digital inputs - the AVRX3400H has 4 of those -.

If home automation is your thing then it seems Denon have put quite a bit of thought into this with the now all too familiar RS232 serial port making an appearance for full programming and control of the receivers functions, 12 volt triggering for compatibility etc.

Now to something I don't understand, why have Denon even bothered with Wi-Fi connectivity? I understand that not everyone has the ability to wire directly to Lan but frankly the two Wi-Fi antenna mounted on either side of the receiver just get in the way and I can't see any way of removing those antenna, if there were a way then I'd certainly be onto it as I prefer to hard wire.

The AVRX3400H can connect to either the 2.4GHZ or 5.0GHZ bands in a variety of ways so I'm going to take some time to read through the not so well written manual tonight to find out all about that.

So yep I'm inpatient for tomorrow to come to get this thing going.
I really didn't want to upgrade to the AVRX3400H at this point. Unfortunately the AVR2113 died so I'm now making arrangements to have that looked at. I had planned on an upgrade to an AVRX3400H or whatever was available around Christmas Time or early next years but you know what they say, the best laid plans are the ones to ruin.

--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"

------------------------------

This post, like all posts to the Techno Chat E-Mail group has been scanned by
our server-side antivirus/malware solution. This should not, however, be viewed
as a substitution for your own security strategy. We assume no culpability
whatever, implicit or otherwise, for any compromise to your systems as a result
of opening any post to this group. Suffice it to say that we remain vigilant
within the boundaries of reason. We strongly urge you to do likewise! You have
been warned!!!

You can find an RSS listing of all posts to this group at:
<https://mail.mac-access.net:7025/list/techno-chat@techno-chat.net>
or at:
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=all&q=techno-chat@techno-chat.net>

To encourage your friends to join this group, first accept our thanks for
spreading the word. Then, have them send a message to the list processing
engine at:
<techno-chat-j...@techno-chat.net>
To toggle on/off Digest (batch) mode for this group, please send a blank
message to:
<techno-chat-dig...@techno-chat.net>
To leave the group, please send a blank message to:
<techno-chat-le...@techno-chat.net>.

To contact the support address for this group, please write to:
supp...@techno-chat.net>