Good whatever day it is where you are to you all!

I’m just writing to let you know of a couple of major changes to list policy
within the Techno-Chat forum.

In the past, largely at Lynne’s insistance, it has been contrary to list policy
for this group to have members advertise technology-related items with which
they may wish to part, or items for which they are searching, to this group.
However, now that Lynne is, I’m sorry to say, no longer around to assist with
the administration of the group, and after speaking with a couple of members
off list, I have decided that the advertising of technology-related
equipment/items for sale or swap is something which wouldn’t do the group any
harm, and could provide a very worthwhile service.

Therefore, I have decided on the following amendment to group policy:

• Members may post notices of items of technology-related nature which they
wish to sell for a nominal sum, give away for free in order to find a good home
for equipment, or swap in the search for other items of equipment.

Important note:

• When selling items, it must be on a strictly non-profit basis. We’re not a
replacement for a shopping mall and it would be against the spirit of the group
were members profiting by such transactions.
• Group members may also post notices if they are looking for specific items of
technology-related equipment.

Once contact is established between two parties regarding a specific item, it
would probably be better if the transactions took place via private
communications. This would circumvent the possibility of a member’s
confidential information being spread around in a public forum.

Distributing such data would be a direct contravention of the General Data
Protection legislation which, owing to the location of the group’s hub, we are
subject to. I believe that other countries, such as the US, Canada and
Australia, also have similar legislation.
We’ll give this a whirl and see how it goes. Should it prove to be in any. Way
detrimental to the group as a whole, or should members encounter and report
difficulties in dealing with other group members after responding to such a
notice being placed in this group, I reserve the right to curtail the
activities of this group related to the distribution of hardware.

Note:
• Software should not b a part of this service, if it is licensed too, or
registered to, the current owner. That, again, would contravene legal mandates
internationally. There are, however, a few exceptions to this. For example, if
a laptop or notebook machine is involved, the software should really be
restored to purchase status. That way, the operating system I.E. Windows 10,
would then be licenced to the owner of the machine.

Change #2:

Until now, it has kind of evolved that this group contains only members who
have a visual impairment, and/or other sensory impairments. I feel that this
policy should be relaxed, as one of the list’s functions was originally
intended to promote the interaction by sensory-impaired people within the main
stream of technologies.

Now that accessibility is a big part of many main stream solutions, I feel that
it would spice up the group if we were to open the doors to non-disabled people
as well as disabled.

Pertainant to the first change, I also intend for this policy to apply on our
sister group, Mac Access. I shall announce the change there shortly as well.

Thanks for your attention and, of course, if you have any comment regarding the
above, please do feel free to let us know. Some short term debate or discussion
amongst members could prove a worthwhile exercise. But I urge everybody not to
allow any differences of opinion to become a heated discussion. Let’s approach
this in a mature and constructive manner.

Gordon