From: Gordon Smith <gor...@mac-access.net>
Sent: Thursday, 29 August 2019 9:21 PM
To: Techno-Chat ... Technology Enthusiasm! <techno-chat@techno-chat.net>
Subject: Re: [Techno-Chat]: Clever Radios

Couple of points here.

You mentioned that this is a “Communications” receiver. The term
“Communications” receiver usually refers to a receiver whose function is aimed
primarily at the communications bands, be it amateur, PMR or logistical service
providers – each of which has, of course, its own frequency ranges and modes of
transmission.

You also said that “Short Wave” goes all the way up to 30 MHz. This is
technically not quite correct, as from around 3 MHz upwards isn’t usually
defined as “Short” way, and in excess of 20 MHz is definitely not covered by
this description. ;-)

Of course, I’m only splitting hairs here, so don’t take these as serious
contradictions.

My major correction, however, relates to the antennas. You specified that the
telescopic whip antenna provided is used for “FM”, and the Ferrite antenna is
used for “AM”. Technically, this is a grossly inaccurate phraseology, since the
differences between the antennas are actually the frequencies at which they are
resonant, and not the modes of emission which they are designed to best
receive. Again, I’m only speaking here very much tongue-in-cheek. All the same,
that last point is perfectly sound.

Seriously though, having a single portable solution capable of general coverage
from, I would presume, roundabout, presumably, the 100 KHz mark up to 30 MHz
certainly has its advantages. That much is beyond dispute.

I certainly wouldn’t draw comparisons to an RF scanner, of course, which is an
entirely different concept. And my final thought on this one for the moment Is
that, assuming this device covers the amateur bands and even some PMR bands, it
would be an advantage to have either SSB support, some form of RIT control or,
preferably, both. This would have a few advantages when listening in the lower
frequency bands, (100 KHz to 30 MHz in particular).

One thing I’m not quite clear on, however, is where the gaps are. You say that
the device supports FM. So, presumably, you’re referring to the 88/108 MHz
broadcast band. This would seem to be the case as you refer to stereo FM in
your post. Also you say that there’s a telescopic whip for that kind of use. So
what are the limits on listening in the VHF range?

As we’ve discussed privately of late, Air band and, to a lesser extent, the
marine bands I find interesting. PMR also has its attractions in some cases.