Thank you for an interesting review.
I first heard about the Icom IC-r30 in October last year when a friend of mine
mentioned a fully featured hand-held receiver had been available for some time
of excellent quality with an excellent feature set.
I was anxious to find out more so I asked about and it didn’t take me long to
discover that the Icom IC-R30 was already very well regarded and a star in its
own right when it comes to handheld receivers which I had little regard for
until this time.
It seemed therefore fitting that I should make an attempt to get to know a
radio such as this so I bought one for my Birthday.
I echo many of the points by Gordon and I also agree that the IC-R30 is not a
radio I will fully master overnight.
The equipment is feature rich without a doubt, like a car whose every nook and
cranny is in occupation.
Some of the functions I think worth notting concern the wide variety of control
the user has over the radio.
The IC-R630 has a 3.5MM jack above the USB socket on the right-hand side.
By default this jack will accept a standard pair of stereo headphones but
that’s just the beginning.
The socket can be programmed to do several different thinks: act as an external
speaker or line-out connection, as an external antenna connection etc.
Those who read Gordon’s review will know that this radio is able to receive the
standard AM Broadcast Band, not a necessary quality perhaps in a receiver of
this calibre but convenient all the same.
So what if I told you that Icom had actually gone a step further by including a
lipstick aerial for the AM Broadcast Band inside the radio? How Icom managed to
get anything extra into such a small body is beyond me but they managed and
thus one can easily tune to and send to memory any frequency on that band.
The lipstick itself can be toggled on and off so the ability to isolate the
lipstick and use a dedicated AM Broadcast antenna loop for example awaits the
curious.
Internal speakers of such small devices are usually tinny and unpleasant to
listen to, this isn’t the case with the Icom IC-R30 which has one of the best
sounding speakers for a device of this size I have ever heard.
The volume by default is controlled by a pair of up/down buttons on the
left-hand side of the radio, I say default because this can be changed.
The dial on the tip of the radio can be toggled with the up/down pair of
buttons, a neat arrangement as I have already discovered.
Some times one might prefer to use up/down button tuning rather than the dial
to move between frequencies or memory’s, its all dependent on what you are
looking for.
If held down when the buttons are in tuning mode the radio races through the
frequencies at 2000 spots a second, that’s moving so thank Goodness one can
change the frequency step easily down to a fine 10HZ.

> On 6 Jan 2020, at 8:36 am, Gordon Smith <gor...@mac-access.net> wrote:
>
> Good evening everybody.
>
> You may remember Dane writing on list about this device some time ago. I had
> been doing some research into similar devices for some time on and off, so it
> tweaked my interest. That, of course, is the precise reason that this E-Mail
> list exists and whilst I’m on, please feel free to spread the word amongst
> your friends that this group exists. Always nice to have a good circulation
> and helps to stimulate conversation.
>
> Anyway, to the point. Just before Christmas, I decided to take the plunge,
> and I bought one of those radio receivers. I have not been disappointed in
> what my money bought for me. My only slight gripe, and it really is a slight
> one, is that I never discovered until today that there is a version of that
> receiver which also has a 3G LTE modem, so that you can use it with wireless
> broadband. But then again, it may not be accessible anyway, so perhaps it
> isn’t really an issue at all.
>
> I managed to locate some adapters which have allowed me to hook up my
> existing VHF/UHF Colinear antenna to the device. Since doing so on Friday,
> the performance of the device has greatly impressed me.
>
> It comes with a 27-inch metallic telescopic whip antenna which, depending on
> your location, may or may not be adequate. In mine, it is not adequate, I’m
> sorry to say. But the external antenna made the receiver sound like a totally
> different device. Thus, I have a few comments to make here and now, but will
> do so in extensio in our Blog, in due course.
>
> Those of you who have been amateur radio enthusiasts for some years may
> remember the old 1980s lineup of Kenwood handheld transceivers. Actually, I
> stil have one in a cupboard here, but haven’t tried using it in years. Guess
> I must do so. Anyway, to the point. This receiver is the absolute business
> when it comes to versatility. It handles just about every mode of emission
> known to mankind, including, but not limited to, FM, (Wide and narrow), AM,
> (wide and narrow), Lower Sideband, Upper Sideband, CW, CW Reverse, (I’l
> explain what that is in a moment), as well as just about every digital mode
> of communications in use across amateur and commercial communications
> networks. I’m being very specific about using the words “Communications
> Networks”, because I don’t want to give anybody the impression that it
> handles systems like DAB or DAB+, as used by many broadcasters across the
> world.
>
> Undoubtedly, if one could obtain the right codec, and compile it into a
> compatible firmware update, one could probably enable those modes too, as the
> device is an SDR device.
>
> The device has mobile apps available for it in the Google Play Store and the
> Apple iOS/iPadOS App Store. However, as yet, despite the fact that I do have
> a working Bluetooth pairing between my iPhone and the IC-R30, for whatever
> [...]

------------------------------

This post, like all posts to the Techno Chat E-Mail group has been scanned by
our server-side antivirus/malware solution. This should not, however, be viewed
as a substitution for your own security strategy. We assume no culpability
whatever, implicit or otherwise, for any compromise to your systems as a result
of opening any post to this group. Suffice it to say that we remain vigilant
within the boundaries of reason. We strongly urge you to do likewise! You have
been warned!!!

You can find an RSS listing of all posts to this group at:
<https://mail.mac-access.net:7025/list/techno-chat@techno-chat.net>
or at:
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=all&q=techno-chat@techno-chat.net>

To encourage your friends to join this group, first accept our thanks for
spreading the word. Then, have them send a message to the list processing
engine at:
<techno-chat-j...@techno-chat.net>
To toggle on/off Digest (batch) mode for this group, please send a blank
message to:
<techno-chat-dig...@techno-chat.net>
To leave the group, please send a blank message to:
<techno-chat-le...@techno-chat.net>.

To contact the support address for this group, please write to:
supp...@techno-chat.net>