The magic is in BaseTelluriumGroovyTestCase and
TelluriumGroovyTestCase if you use Groovy.
The above two classes handle the initialization procedure for
Tellurium.

As a result, for the following,

before "start selenium", {
 given "selenium is up and running", {
  selenium = new DefaultSelenium("localhost",
   4444, "*firefox", "http://acme.racing.net/greport";)
  selenium.start()
 }
}

You may want to try

before "start tellurium", {
 given "tellurium is up and running", {
  TelluriumFramework aost  = TelluriumSupport.addSupport()
  aost.start()
  SeleniumConnector connector =  aost.connector
  initUi()
 }
}

when "filling out the person form with a first and last name", {
 connector.connectUrl("http://acme.racing.net/greport/
personracereport.html")
 type("fname", "Britney")
 type("lname", "Smith")
}

after "stop tellurium" , {
 then "tellurium should be shutdown", {
     aost.stop()
 }
}

The thing is I do not really know how the DSL is implemented and how
the variable such as connector
should be passed.