At 00:45 25/07/03, Fong, Anna wrote:
I'd like to create a PDF template that I can use on a Unix server and populate the template from a database to create new PDFs for future editions of this report. I do have Perl and DBI installed, though probably not the versions required by Template-Toolkit.

OK, here is what I would probably do.

I've been using a piece of Apache software called FOP which takes a particular XML format - XSL:FO and converts it to PDF (or other print formats)

Now you could use TemplateToolkit to help generate the XSL:FO files. There is nothing in TemplateToolkit that means it has to generate html - it can generate XML too.

Now your main problem is that XSL:FO is complicated, and that FOP is a java program. You could potentially kick off a new FOP java instance whenever you had a PDF to generate, or create some kind of server which processed XSL:FO files whenever they were available.

The "template" needs to be XSL:FO rather than PDF - and there is no generic way of converting PDF to XSL:FO.

PS I don't see why TemplateToolkit shouldn't work with old versions of perl and DBI.

Goodluck

Alex

Available for java/perl/C++/web development in London, UK or nearby. Apache FOP, Cocoon, Turbine, Struts,XSL:FO, XML, Tomcat, JSP http://www.OWAL.co.uk/