Geoffrey Young wrote:
But things are getting more and more fragile and dependant on each
other

indeed.  right now a fresh checkout will not even run for me because I don't
have an ssl-enabled apache to run against.  this is not a minor issue, as I
suspect I'm in the majority for normal users.

Agreed. I'll try to reproduce it and resolve it. Sorry for the breakage.

making the code less and less maintainable.

exactly - I'm kind of at a loss for what exactly to do here to fix it.  you
made a few suggestions, but I really don't know what's best - between the
sticky configuration stuff (that I still don't care for) and the new
configuration breakdown I'm pretty much lost at the moment.

We need to rethink
how the things are configured in A-T,

I think it all used to be just fine.  well, maybe not fine but maintainable
to a certain degree.  then we started adding magic things like sticky
preferences and the ability to move the test directory around and things got
considerably more complex.

Well, those things aren't magical, they were just solutions to the existing (some pretty bad) problems. I've a way too many other things to do, to just go and break Apache-Test for fun.

write some sort of test suite to
cover what's working, then completely rewrite the configuration process
from scratch, making sure that things are still working.

ideally, sure. I just can't think of how to do that.

Do what? The test suite? I think this is the first step.