Hi Friedrich, *,

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Friedrich Strohmaier
<damokles4-lis...@bits-fritz.de> wrote:
> Christian Lohmaier schrieb:
>
>> Unfortunately, the digest did not include any base64 encoded messages
>> this time.
>
> strange. Probably this depends the way mails are created by kmail?

No - just happens that nobody on the test-list did send a message with
base64 encoding - has nothing to do with digest vs regular
subscription.

> If so this one should be base64 encoded as well.

Nope

>> So all I can say is that gmail is unsuitable for handling
>> digest-subscription, as it displays all messages inline. It's not
>> possible to reply to the single message (well, at least not if you
>> want to preserve a thread.
>
> That's not good news.

Well - not really bad news either, as I really don't see a single
reason for doing a digest-subscription with gmail.for a discussion
list (i.e. one where you don't only receive stuff, but also interact
with others.

>> The message itself is a multipart/digest one, with correctly delimited
>> messages and complete headers (also including the mail-archive.com
>> one) for each single mail - so "real" mailclients that don't handle
>> those properly/cannot even display the messages are buggy as hell and
>> don't deserve the name.
>
> You talk about gmail?? ;o))

No, I mean: When any client has problem displaying the digest-mails,
then that client is seriously broken.

Any client that displays them as attachment and thus as individual
message has a complete email at heand with all headerst to handle it
propery.

It's a weak spot of gmail that you cannot reply to a single mail, but
on the plus side it doesn't have any problem properly displaying the
messges with various different encodings (utf-8 and 8bit encoding (the
message-list from the maling list system, latin1 and latin9,
quoted-printabl from the postings) inline (and I'm pretty sure that it
won't have problem wih base64 ones either, just that I could not
verify that yet.

> [no individual reply with gmail possible]
> which isn't very useful at all..

Yes. And even if the user would change the subject, it would still
cause a new thread, as no references are kept... (also not when using
plain subscription, it's a general "feature" of gmail to start a new
thread when you change the subject. The only think I dislike about
gmail really.

ciao
Christian