I am having a problem using bplain. I have a file that needs to switch
between american and british hypenation styles while mixing in some
greek.  I have edited
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat so that
both are available and then I did a "texconfig init".

When I "bplain test.tex" with the following file:

        ^^^^^^^^^test.tex^^^^^^^^
        \languagename
        \selectlanguage\american

        \end
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I get:

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
(test.tex
Babel <v3.6Z> and hyphenation patterns for american, british, french, german, n
german, nohyphenation, loaded.
! You haven't defined the language american yet.
\@nolanerr ...t defined the language #1\space yet}

\select@language ...dcsname \relax \@nolanerr {#1}
                                                  \else \language =\csname l...

\selectlanguage  ...lect@language {\languagename }
                                                  \if@filesw \[EMAIL PROTECTED]
l.2 \selectlanguage\american

?

If I then complete the run the dvi output shows
        nohyphenation ``select@languageamericantoc``string
repeating from the first double-quote on until I get an overfull hbox.

What am I doing wrong?