Rainer Dunker wrote:

> Sorry, but I can't refrain from making the following proposal: :-)

I copied this to my document, and created the following macros:

8<------------------------------------------------------------------

\def\musicextract#1{%
   \let\extractline\relax
   \nobarnumbers
   \startextract#1\endextract
}

\def\numscale#1#2#3{%
   \begin{music}
     \setlyrics1{\lyrlayout\smalltype #3}
     \assignlyrics11
     \musicextract{\Notes\lyricson\nq{#1}%
                   \lpar #2\rpar #2\nolyr\nq #2\%
                   lyricsoff\en}
   \end{music}
}

8<-------------------------------------------------------------------

However, if I create two identical scales with:

\numscale{cdefg'ab}{c}{1 2 3 4 5 6 7}
\numscale{cdefg'ab}{c}{1 2 3 4 5 6 7}

The second scale does get the numers (the "lyrics") gathered to the
right of the music extract. What am I doing wrong?

> But if you insist on doing the job without musixlyr: I don't quite
> understand whether you intend to give the text line explicitly, like:
>
> \doit{cd_efg'_ab}{12{\flt3}45{\flt6}{\flt7}}

This is exactly what I want. I want a one-liner for the entire scale, so
if I later want to change the layout (spacing, note size, etc), I can
just change this macro. Typing a one-liner also goes faster and improves
readability of the source LaTeX file.

> .. or whether the scale digits shall be deduced automatically from the
> notes sequence. Depending on this decision, the difficulty of
> finding a solution may vary very much.

Uuhh... that would be tricky! And it would only work with diatonic
scales. With non-diatonic scales, you don't want to use the numbering
anyway.

Regards
Stefan