 >| file. I
 >|
 >|The question does arise because I'm guessing you are actually using a
 >|script that calls pmx and then tex and then musixflx and then tex again.
 >|If you have updated to a recent version of musixtex that requires etex
 >|instead of tex, it won't work. I don't use Debian but I suspect that
 >|if you update musixtex *and* pmx (and, if you're using it, mtx), your
 >|problems will disappear.

I just checked the Debian pmx repository and in fact the most recent
(February 2004!) package has a script that calls tex.  I've sent a note
to the Debian maintainer. Until it gets fixed, Debian users of pmx and
m-tx should install those packages from CTAN:

http://mirror.ctan.org/support/pmx.zip
http://mirror.ctan.org/support/mtx.zip

or at least replace their pmx and mtx scripts by the scripts available
there (or call pmxab, etex, etc. "by hand").

Bob T.