On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Mátyás Seress wrote:

Can anyone tell me, why I should use musixtex rather than Lily Pond?

Have you already seen scores made by both softwares ? Otherwise the Google search of WIMA may help you make the right choice.

Type the words "with <my_tool> source" into the "Google Search WIMA" field of http://icking-music-archive.org

but instead of <my_tool> write either MusiXTeX or Lilypond. Then you will have access to images of scores made with this tool and present in WIMA, and this should guide your choice.

If you obtain too many results move back to the Google Search WIMA field and add the instrument(s) or ensemble you are planning to work for. This will hide results too far from your needs.

Besides the image you will be able to also download the corresponding "source" of this score (often compressed into .zip format).

Uncompressing this "source" will give you a text-format file, and viewing this file with a text editor will help you decide which "language" you prefer.

Now I'm looking forward to see your scores.

Regards,
--
Jean-Pierre Coulon                  cou...@obs-nice.fr