Hi Don,

I find "musix.map" after running "instmus.bat" in the folders "C:\Users\Dieter\AppData\Roaming\musixtexmf\dvips\config"
and in "C:\Users\Dieter\AppData\Roaming\musixtexmf\dvipdfm\config".

I did not move any files manually, apart from moving "pmx.tex" into "C:\Users\Dieter\AppData\Roaming\musixtexmf\tex\generic\musixtex" and "pmxab.exe" into the tools-folder.

But this is of course not relevant for the problem at hand.

The problem arises only when the MikTeX option has been set to "ask for package installation on the fly". This is reproducible. When I say "no" to the installation pop-up, everything runs correctly to the end.

I am convinced that this message is an artefact of MikTeX, because already version 2.8 had a problem with this option "ask for package installation on the fly".

Thanks and regards,
Dieter

Dieter, are you saying that without manually moving any files the
installation does work (including dvips) once you turned off automatic
MiKTeX installation?

FYI the file is copied by the line
xcopy %MUSIXTEXDIR%\dvips\musix.map "%ROOT%"\dvips\config\
in instmus.bat.

Is that folder present? Is there a copy of musix.map in the folder? Is there
another subfolder named fonts\map\dvips\musixtex?

I've checked my hard drive; there's no subfolder dvips\musixtex but there is
one dvips\config, it contains musix.map, everything works fine.

--Don Simons