Bob Tennent wrote
> >|It did appear to install OK, although it took 3 hours
>
>You can select which "collection" to install. A full install
>is indeed massive.

Yep, 3.3 GB, ~110,000 files !!! Turns out you need to run the "advanced"
install batch script to be able to select options. With the "minimal"
scheme, augmented only by the "music typesetting" package, and with twice as
fast a download speed (10 Mbps), that took ~10 min, downloading 14000 files,
300 MB.

> >|By searching, I found that pmx.tex had been put into
> >|c:/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/doc/generic/pmx
>
>Not the right place. I believe the TDS zip file somehow didn't
>get installed at CTAN though I think it was uploaded; that meant
>that TeXLive developers had to guess where to put files and it was
>incorrectly assumed that pmx.tex was documentation.

I created folder c:/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pmx, moved pmx.tex
there, and updated the filename database using the Windows GUI that had been
installed in the start menu. pmx2pdf then worked just fine.

So although not a dream, I'll grant that it was not too bad snooze. Still, a
total novice would have been completely flummoxed.

Would the fact that no one we know about had yet reported the mislocation of
pmx.tex suggest that no one else (including the TeXLive developers) had ever
tried installing and running pmx in Windoze from this version of TeXLive?

--Don Simons