I'm setting a piece in 2/2 meter. One part consists
essentially of quarter notes always off the beat. Is it
acceptable to typeset this as in the following:

\itieu0o\ca o | \ttie0\ca o\qa o\qa o\qa o\itieu0o\ca o | \ttie0\ca o ...

where the | indicates a barline.

The reason I ask is that I've seen the same material set as
follows:

\itieu0o\ca o | \ttie0\ca o\qa o\itieu0o\ca o\ttie0\ca o\qa o\itieu0o\ca o |
\ttie0\ca o ...

The difference is that the central quarter note has been
broken up into tied eighth notes, presumably because the
second one is on the second beat of the 2/2 measure.

There doesn't seem to be the same reluctance to carry half
notes across the beat.

Bob T.