>|I have looked at the pdftk link. It seems like it could
 >|be useful for many purposes, but I did not see the key
 >|item for booklet-making, namely making new, double-size
 >|pages from two side-by-side single pages. Am I missing
 >|something?

There's a script in the pdfjam package in TeXLive which uses
pdfpages to do n-up formating. But it doesn't seem to be
available in MiKTeX. You could use pdfpages directly:

  This package simplifies the inclusion of external
  multipage PDF documents in LaTeX documents. Pages may be
  freely selected and similar to psnup it is possible to put
  several logical pages onto each sheet of paper.

pdfpages is available in MiKTeX.

Bob