Dieter--

Vertical spacing is very tricky to control. I'm guessing from what you wrote
that you did not use M-Tx. Dirk did build some stuff into M-Tx to deal with
this but I've never taken the time to understand it. I've also put  some stuff
into PMX, some documented (Ae) and some not (but in pmx.tex, i.e., \spread).
Rather than try to write a general primer here, I'd be glad to look at your
problem in more detail if you'd provide your PMX source.

--Don