Hi Dirk.

 >|André van Ryckeghem's edition of Schubert's Deutsche Messe etc

Presumably you're referring to

http://imslp.org/wiki/Deutsche_Messe,_D.872_(Schubert,_Franz)#Complete

for which PMX "engraving files" are available,

 >|uses "mupsviewle.bat" to make PS from MusiXTeX.

That script is included in the archive.

 >|It would be trivial to translate it to "bash" but maybe
 >|now that we have Bob Tennent's system-independent
 >|lua-based scripts it is not necessary.

It is not necessary; mupsviewle just runs tex, musixflx,
tex, dvips and gsview. The same effect can be obtained on a
modern installation by running musixtex -g and gsview.

 >|To my untrained eye, the results obtained by "musixtex"
 >|followed by "pdftops" look equally good. Or am I missing
 >|some subtle point?

If you want a .ps, it would be better to run

musixtex -g

rather than using the musixtex script to produce a pdf and
converting back to ps using pdftops. But is there any reason
to produce a ps file rather than a pdf?

musixtex -h

will output a summary of the options available, with more
details on the man page.

Bob

P.S. The source files are actually pmx files. The pmx2pdf
script doesn't have a -g option, but that could easily be
added if you really want ps rather than pdf.