Don Simons <dsim...@roadrunner.com> writes:

> Rodolfo--
>
> That's not a very good advertisement for PMX, is it? And the fact that I use
> Windows version isn't going to make it easier for me to help. But I'll try. I
> cannot reproduce your error. but I get a different one. When I look at the
> file the format looks OK at line 37. My error occurs at line 41:
>
> ERROR in line 41, bar 1 Expected a number here for the pause

> It176ipipi
>
> ^
>
> The text is misleading; this error is really due to a change in the syntax
> for the suboption "i" of the midi-generation command "I", which is outlined
> on p.28 of the manual pmx270: " The number of arguments following suboption
> i, as well as the next three described suboptions, must in fact equal the
> number of instruments. Before version 2.7, it was the number of staves..."
>
> I'm attaching cl361b.pmx where I fixed this problem (by deleting the last
> “pi”). I confirmed that it compiles and am hoping it does for you. If not,
> please include the complete error message you get, including the lines
> following the error description, which will confirm exactly which line, and
> which position in that line, your version of PMX thinks the error is in.
>
> --Don

Thanks indeed, all of you.  The correction you made works fine for me.
Unfortunately, similar errors are produced also with the other files from
Clementi sonatinas, and also with Chopin waltzes.  With Clementi I tried with
no success to delete the last `pi' similarly as you did, whereas processing
waltzafm.pmx produces:

 This is PMX, Version 2.7  , 3 Apr 13
 Opening waltzafm.pmx

 Starting first PMX pass

 ERROR in line 61, bar 0 Illegal character in MIDI input data
 It138i2:2
         ^
May be too many args to i,v,b, or T. As of Ver. 2.7, should be noinst, not nv

It's a pity, because really the process pmx -> tex is useful for what I want...
Neither do I have the knowledge now to do myself the corrections.  And we're
probably talking of quite a lot of files to re-edit.

Thanks,

Rodolfo