Den 16.04.2020 kl. 15.13 skrev Bob Tennent:
  >|Maybe my question is too technical. I ask on the list
  >|anyway.

Christian: I regret that I'm not able to help you on this.
For TeXLive, I stick to the suggested defaults. I suggest
you ask at tex-l...@tug.org.

Bob

I got quite a few reactions on my question to tex-l...@tug.org on TEXMFHOME and TEXMFHOME, the most important from Reinhard Kotucha:

By default there is no ls-R file in TEXMFHOME and TEXMFHOME is not in
TEXMFDBS.  This is intentional because the number of files in
TEXMFHOME is relatively small and a database lookup is not necessary.
As a result, there is no need to run mktexlsr whenever you add new
files and this is the main reason for the default settings.

I don't know what created the ls-R file though.  I recommend to remove
it and as well as the entries in texmf.cnf you made.

There will be no noticeable speed improvement unless you have hundreds
of files in in TEXMFHOME.

If you add something to 2020/texmf.cnf and forget to copy this file to
2021/texmf.cnf next year you run into trouble and it's not always
easy to find out what goes wrong.

If you _have_ a lot of files in TEXMFHOME you can consider to move
then to TEXMFLOCAL if possible.  That would avoid a customized setup
and all the trouble it causes.  Please note that TeX Live never
touches anything in TEXMFLOCAL.  Your files are as save there as in
TEXMFHOME.

Eventually I chose to keep my TEXMFHOME and delete its ls-R file. That solved the problem.

Bet wishes
--
Christian Mondrup
WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive